Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Welcome, Unprepared Newbies!


Greetings, Newbies!

Does your disaster plan look like this? Well, don't feel bad, you're not alone. Most people don't give it a thought, until they're in the middle of a disaster. Maybe you've managed to narrowly escape unscathed from the latest storm, earthquake or political insurrection, and swore that NEXT time, you would be ready. Whatever disaster befalls you, your life will be set up so you can "weather the storm" with minimal disruption and additional preparation.
But where do you begin?

Rest easy. I'm here to hold your hand.

First, my qualifications.

Nothing official. No college degree in a related field, no time spent working for FEMA or the Red Cross. Just practical experience from surviving several extended power outages, flooding, ice storms, blizzards, and heat waves. I've also survived disasters such as being unemployed for long periods of time and divorce. Divorce? YES, not all disasters are "natural", or even "man made" - some are "woman made"!

I currently reside in Utah, and as a good Mormon, I'm always prepared... oh wait. I'm not Mormon at all. But I have learned a few things from my Mormon neighbors. Like stocking a pantry, and food storage. (Utahans LOVE their pantries!) On the other hand, I've taught my LDS neighbors a thing or two about being prepared. Like, your gasoline generator is going to be useless once the power at the gas station goes out, and that huge stock of food in your freezer is going to be lost. I grow and preserve some of my own food, and build or fix whenever I can rather than buy or pay someone to do it. Doing things by yourself gives you the knowledge, confidence, creativity, and problem solving experience that helps you survive the unexpected.

Disasters take many forms. Some you can see coming, like hurricanes and blizzards. Some strike without warning - like earthquakes and the a fore-mentioned divorce. I've learned from my experiences and those of others, and I will share that knowledge with you.

My first bit of advice for you?
Don't live where disasters tend to occur! (Refer to these maps)


Come back for my next post: Stupid Places to Live, and the Stupid People Who Live There.

No comments:

Post a Comment